This is going to be a busy week for me. Tonight, I’ll be spending time at Liquid Lounge celebrating my dear friend Kim Taylor Owens’ birthday. I’d encourage you to join me and hear tunes from Justin Pickard, Joe Hardy (Hello Lover, Hawk vs. Dove), Bull by the Horn, Kes O’ Hara, and more.
I’ll also be resuming the Twelve Days of Christmas on the blog, and I’m hoping for more interest in these treats over the next few days. Not gonna lie, I’m severely disappointed that absolutely NO ONE claimed the Girl in a Coma tickets. I guess everyone went to see the new Star Wars film Thursday instead. But really, if I don’t start getting more participation, I may keep all these gifts for me.
The one gift I’ll definitely share on the blog is my 101 Best Local Songs of 2015. I’ll start the countdown tomorrow, leading up to the big event Tuesday the 29th. The Ghost will do a very special live Top 40 countdown at Off the Record. The show will also be broadcast live on Deep Ellum Radio. This playlist is a sneak preview of sorts that samples some of the artists who charted. The catch is that the songs on the playlist are not the songs that made the final list. It does, however, give you idea of what’s to come through this week. I’m not adding commentary this time around, as I’ll be saving my time for upcoming posts and tonight’s festivities at Liquid Lounge. Besides, I think the songs speak for themselves without me having to say anything.
- Year of the Bear, “Always Leads”
- Pink Smoke, “Street Victim”
- Nicholas Altobelli, “Sarah”
- Toadies, “Heart of Glass”
- Jonas Martin, “Let Them Drown”
- Telegraph Canyon, “Honey”
- Salim Nourallah, “The Bullies Are Back”
- Jake Paleschic, “Thank You for the Bad Days”
- Jetta in the Ghost Tree, “Clandestine”
- Jessie Frye,”Big Bad Wolf”
- Brave Young Lion, “Girls”
- Zach Balch, “Catch What You’ve Got”
- Nervous Curtains, “City of Hate”
- Dove Hunter, “This Creek Will Rise”
- Ellen Once Again, “Neon Lights & Stardust”
- Pentacon Six, “Christmas Is Better With You”