- Pentacon Six, “Christmas Is Better With You”
Interesting fact: I got a lot of likes and retweets when I debuted the band’s Christmas song, but the majority of those came from OUTSIDE the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Moral of the story: metroplex, you need to wake up and pay attention to this duo’s beautiful pop songs.
- Zhora, “Rivers”
Zhora’s on something of a roll. She recently re-released her song “Lights”, as well as a video for the song. And just yesterday, she released “Rivers”. All is well in the land of Zhora.
- Lonely Horse, “And the Number 3”
It’s only fitting that this song from San Antonio’s Lonely Horse gets slot number three.
- Three Bones, “Dance All Night”
Alas, there can only be one slot number three. Sorry, Three Bones.
- Mind Spiders, “Wait for Us”
Fort Worth’s Mind Spiders plays an all too rare local show this Saturday at Three Links. Nervous Curtains and Cliffs of Insanity open what I’d have to say is the show to be at this weekend.
- Tomkat, “Say Nothing”
I’m still compiling the list for my Top 100 Local Songs of the year. Will this song make the cut? Uh, yeah. Duh.
- Sea.shell.ski, “Stupid Butterflies”
Does anyone else ever go to Reverbnation anymore? Sometimes it’s fun to check out who your favorite musicians follow, then check on who some of those musicians follow, and so on. You can discover cool new acts that way. That’s how I discovered this song and artist.
- Gaston Light, “Make Up Your Mind”
Sometimes a singer’s greatest skill is not in the technical ability to hit the notes perfectly. Sometimes what makes a singer great is the ability to take simple, straight forward lyrics, and add an emotional depth to the words that would not exist in the mere words alone. Jason Corcoran of Gaston Light has that skill, and “Make Up Your Mind” is perfect evidence of my point.
- Boss Battle, “Ride”
One of my goals of 2016 is to bring this Austin band to Dallas for a Ghost of Blind Lemon show. Boss Battle, let’s make it happen.
- Vodeo, “Pillow Talking”
Sure, it’s cheesy, but I mean that in the best way possible.
- Jonas Martin, “Let Them Drown”
I know that Goodnight Ned is working on a new record, but for now, we’ll have to settle for a new Jonas Martin. And by “settle”, I mean enjoy tremendously.
- The Deer, “Do Return”
Hey, the song title says “Do Return”, so I decided to return it to this week’s list. And people say I can’t follow directions…
- Brave Young Lion, “Bleeding Knees”
Here’s another return track because, well, listen. You’ll get it.
- The O’s, “Finding It Hard”
Speaking of finding it hard to believe something, I could’ve sworn that The O’s latest album, Honeycomb, was on Spotify. Now, all of the sudden, I can’t find it. What’s up with that?
- Claire Domingue, “Losing It”
Here’s an Austin artist I’ll be bringing to Dallas early next year. More details to come…
- The Polyphonic Spree, “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)”
I started with a Christmas song, I ended with one, making these sixteen songs a complete 360°, so to speak.
Sunday Spotify Sixteen: 12/6/2015
- Monday Mixteen: 11/20/17 — The Ghost almost never discusses music outside of the state of Texas. Today, however, I will discuss a band that was a huge favorite of my teenage years, and still one of my all time favorite bands. INXS were superstars of the 1980’s alternative rock movement, thanks to killer tracks like “The One Thing”, “What [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 11/6/17 — I hope everyone has enjoyed this weekend. It marks one of my favorite weekends of the year. Why is that? Simple: one hour of extra sleep. Yes, The Ghost does love his sleep. And I recall some British guy once saying something about sleeping perchance to dream, or something to that effect. So to celebrate [...]
- Monday Mixteen 10/30/17: Part II — The Ghost has always thought it to be rather cliched to do songs about ghosts, ghouls, goblins, and the like for Halloween. Instead of using the obvious imagery, I like to use a different comparison for this holiday. Halloween is a time for dressing up as a different creature. The closest musical kin to dressing [...]
- Monday Mixteen 10/30/17: Part 1 — With the end of October being upon us, this seemed the appropriate time to do a recap of some of the best new music of the month. I also wanted to do an all covers themed Monday Mixteen playlist. After much thought, the solution became clear. One playlist wouldn’t be enough today. Part 2 of [...]
- Video Wednesday (VW): 10/25/17 — Before I begin today’s Video Wednesday, let me remind my readers that I am very comfortable with the idea of selling out and getting a sponsor. My deal is still open to allow any Volkswagen dealership the opportunity to sponsor Video Wednesday. That’s why it’s on a Wednesday: so I can call it VW. Other [...]