- Pentacon Six, “Christmas Is Better With You”
Interesting fact: I got a lot of likes and retweets when I debuted the band’s Christmas song, but the majority of those came from OUTSIDE the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Moral of the story: metroplex, you need to wake up and pay attention to this duo’s beautiful pop songs.
- Zhora, “Rivers”
Zhora’s on something of a roll. She recently re-released her song “Lights”, as well as a video for the song. And just yesterday, she released “Rivers”. All is well in the land of Zhora.
- Lonely Horse, “And the Number 3”
It’s only fitting that this song from San Antonio’s Lonely Horse gets slot number three.
- Three Bones, “Dance All Night”
Alas, there can only be one slot number three. Sorry, Three Bones.
- Mind Spiders, “Wait for Us”
Fort Worth’s Mind Spiders plays an all too rare local show this Saturday at Three Links. Nervous Curtains and Cliffs of Insanity open what I’d have to say is the show to be at this weekend.
- Tomkat, “Say Nothing”
I’m still compiling the list for my Top 100 Local Songs of the year. Will this song make the cut? Uh, yeah. Duh.
- Sea.shell.ski, “Stupid Butterflies”
Does anyone else ever go to Reverbnation anymore? Sometimes it’s fun to check out who your favorite musicians follow, then check on who some of those musicians follow, and so on. You can discover cool new acts that way. That’s how I discovered this song and artist.
- Gaston Light, “Make Up Your Mind”
Sometimes a singer’s greatest skill is not in the technical ability to hit the notes perfectly. Sometimes what makes a singer great is the ability to take simple, straight forward lyrics, and add an emotional depth to the words that would not exist in the mere words alone. Jason Corcoran of Gaston Light has that skill, and “Make Up Your Mind” is perfect evidence of my point.
- Boss Battle, “Ride”
One of my goals of 2016 is to bring this Austin band to Dallas for a Ghost of Blind Lemon show. Boss Battle, let’s make it happen.
- Vodeo, “Pillow Talking”
Sure, it’s cheesy, but I mean that in the best way possible.
- Jonas Martin, “Let Them Drown”
I know that Goodnight Ned is working on a new record, but for now, we’ll have to settle for a new Jonas Martin. And by “settle”, I mean enjoy tremendously.
- The Deer, “Do Return”
Hey, the song title says “Do Return”, so I decided to return it to this week’s list. And people say I can’t follow directions…
- Brave Young Lion, “Bleeding Knees”
Here’s another return track because, well, listen. You’ll get it.
- The O’s, “Finding It Hard”
Speaking of finding it hard to believe something, I could’ve sworn that The O’s latest album, Honeycomb, was on Spotify. Now, all of the sudden, I can’t find it. What’s up with that?
- Claire Domingue, “Losing It”
Here’s an Austin artist I’ll be bringing to Dallas early next year. More details to come…
- The Polyphonic Spree, “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)”
I started with a Christmas song, I ended with one, making these sixteen songs a complete 360°, so to speak.
Sunday Spotify Sixteen: 12/6/2015
- The Ghost 101 Countdown of 2016: #20-... — Day by day, song by song, we’re getting closer to revealing The Ghost’s #1 song of 2016. You should be following along diligently, but in case you’re not, The Ghost will be nice and do a full recap of songs #101-21. Ready? Here we go… John Earle Mainord, “The Dam Gon’ Break” Sarah Sellers, “Gone [...]
- The Ghost 101 Countdown of 2016: #30-... — Another day brings us another ten songs closer to The Ghost’s #1 song of 2016. I hope you’ve been keeping track, but if not, I’ll help you with a few recaps. First, click here to check out the bottom half of the countdown. Next, you can find songs #50-41 here. After that, check out yesterday’s [...]
- Sunday Spotify 16: Christmas 2016 — As we speak, Santa is probably en route through America, giving toys to all the good boys and girls across the land. Mr. Claus is really good at delivering goods with his reindeer and elf friends, but he’s not much of a playlist maker. So while Santa is doing his thing, The Ghost will continue [...]
- Sunday Spotify 16: 12/18/16 — It begins tomorrow. What is it, you ask? It’s The Ghost’s countdown of the Top 101 songs of 2016. The Ghost has been hard at work, compiling all the best songs of the year, ranking each song carefully. Each day, a certain portion of the countdown will be revealed, with the number one song being [...]
- Sunday Spotify 16: 11/13/16 — Next Sunday, the results for The 2nd Annual Ghosty Awards shall be revealed. I hope you’ll be there at Three Links when the big ceremony goes down. To help get you ready, here’s another playlist focusing on several of the nominees. Don’t forget that you can continue to vote all the way up until Saturday [...]