- Pentacon Six, “Christmas Is Better With You”
Interesting fact: I got a lot of likes and retweets when I debuted the band’s Christmas song, but the majority of those came from OUTSIDE the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Moral of the story: metroplex, you need to wake up and pay attention to this duo’s beautiful pop songs.
- Zhora, “Rivers”
Zhora’s on something of a roll. She recently re-released her song “Lights”, as well as a video for the song. And just yesterday, she released “Rivers”. All is well in the land of Zhora.
- Lonely Horse, “And the Number 3”
It’s only fitting that this song from San Antonio’s Lonely Horse gets slot number three.
- Three Bones, “Dance All Night”
Alas, there can only be one slot number three. Sorry, Three Bones.
- Mind Spiders, “Wait for Us”
Fort Worth’s Mind Spiders plays an all too rare local show this Saturday at Three Links. Nervous Curtains and Cliffs of Insanity open what I’d have to say is the show to be at this weekend.
- Tomkat, “Say Nothing”
I’m still compiling the list for my Top 100 Local Songs of the year. Will this song make the cut? Uh, yeah. Duh.
- Sea.shell.ski, “Stupid Butterflies”
Does anyone else ever go to Reverbnation anymore? Sometimes it’s fun to check out who your favorite musicians follow, then check on who some of those musicians follow, and so on. You can discover cool new acts that way. That’s how I discovered this song and artist.
- Gaston Light, “Make Up Your Mind”
Sometimes a singer’s greatest skill is not in the technical ability to hit the notes perfectly. Sometimes what makes a singer great is the ability to take simple, straight forward lyrics, and add an emotional depth to the words that would not exist in the mere words alone. Jason Corcoran of Gaston Light has that skill, and “Make Up Your Mind” is perfect evidence of my point.
- Boss Battle, “Ride”
One of my goals of 2016 is to bring this Austin band to Dallas for a Ghost of Blind Lemon show. Boss Battle, let’s make it happen.
- Vodeo, “Pillow Talking”
Sure, it’s cheesy, but I mean that in the best way possible.
- Jonas Martin, “Let Them Drown”
I know that Goodnight Ned is working on a new record, but for now, we’ll have to settle for a new Jonas Martin. And by “settle”, I mean enjoy tremendously.
- The Deer, “Do Return”
Hey, the song title says “Do Return”, so I decided to return it to this week’s list. And people say I can’t follow directions…
- Brave Young Lion, “Bleeding Knees”
Here’s another return track because, well, listen. You’ll get it.
- The O’s, “Finding It Hard”
Speaking of finding it hard to believe something, I could’ve sworn that The O’s latest album, Honeycomb, was on Spotify. Now, all of the sudden, I can’t find it. What’s up with that?
- Claire Domingue, “Losing It”
Here’s an Austin artist I’ll be bringing to Dallas early next year. More details to come…
- The Polyphonic Spree, “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)”
I started with a Christmas song, I ended with one, making these sixteen songs a complete 360°, so to speak.
Sunday Spotify Sixteen: 12/6/2015
- Monday Mixteen: 4/9/18 — If there is one board game that The Ghost loves, it would be Scrabble. It’s the perfect merger between my right brain (creativity with words) vs. left brain (mathematical strategies with point values). I’ve been playing for decades, and even once earned the affectionate nickname “Scrabble playing bastard.” OK, so perhaps that was not meant [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 1/22/18 — South by Southwest may be over a month away, but it seems as if there’s already plenty of talk regarding the acts that made the cut. Today’s Monday Mixteen gives you an opportunity to sample some of the Texas acts that will be performing. In addition to some very familiar names, there are a few [...]
- The 17 Best Releases of 2017 — The Ghost has always avoided doing Best Albums of the Year lists. There is something intimidating about making such lists and making certain that your words are appropriately eloquent for each of the releases. But for the first time, The Ghost is taking on the task… sort of. What follows is an unranked listing of [...]
- The Top 101 Songs of 2017: #60-51 — I hope my readers have had a restful and peaceful holiday weekend. You’ll need that, as we have more work to be done. By work, I mean more songs to reveal in my year end countdown. Today, we reach the halfway mark, so it seems like the perfect time to review. The Speedlights, “After Tonight [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 12/18/17 — It’s the most wonderful time of the year. That’s because he’s making a list, checking it twice. He’s gonna find out who’s naughty or nice. It’s time for The Ghost’s Top 101 Countdown of 2017. What did you think I was talking about? The countdown will begin tomorrow, and there will even be a live [...]