- Pentacon Six, “Christmas Is Better With You”
Interesting fact: I got a lot of likes and retweets when I debuted the band’s Christmas song, but the majority of those came from OUTSIDE the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Moral of the story: metroplex, you need to wake up and pay attention to this duo’s beautiful pop songs.
- Zhora, “Rivers”
Zhora’s on something of a roll. She recently re-released her song “Lights”, as well as a video for the song. And just yesterday, she released “Rivers”. All is well in the land of Zhora.
- Lonely Horse, “And the Number 3”
It’s only fitting that this song from San Antonio’s Lonely Horse gets slot number three.
- Three Bones, “Dance All Night”
Alas, there can only be one slot number three. Sorry, Three Bones.
- Mind Spiders, “Wait for Us”
Fort Worth’s Mind Spiders plays an all too rare local show this Saturday at Three Links. Nervous Curtains and Cliffs of Insanity open what I’d have to say is the show to be at this weekend.
- Tomkat, “Say Nothing”
I’m still compiling the list for my Top 100 Local Songs of the year. Will this song make the cut? Uh, yeah. Duh.
- Sea.shell.ski, “Stupid Butterflies”
Does anyone else ever go to Reverbnation anymore? Sometimes it’s fun to check out who your favorite musicians follow, then check on who some of those musicians follow, and so on. You can discover cool new acts that way. That’s how I discovered this song and artist.
- Gaston Light, “Make Up Your Mind”
Sometimes a singer’s greatest skill is not in the technical ability to hit the notes perfectly. Sometimes what makes a singer great is the ability to take simple, straight forward lyrics, and add an emotional depth to the words that would not exist in the mere words alone. Jason Corcoran of Gaston Light has that skill, and “Make Up Your Mind” is perfect evidence of my point.
- Boss Battle, “Ride”
One of my goals of 2016 is to bring this Austin band to Dallas for a Ghost of Blind Lemon show. Boss Battle, let’s make it happen.
- Vodeo, “Pillow Talking”
Sure, it’s cheesy, but I mean that in the best way possible.
- Jonas Martin, “Let Them Drown”
I know that Goodnight Ned is working on a new record, but for now, we’ll have to settle for a new Jonas Martin. And by “settle”, I mean enjoy tremendously.
- The Deer, “Do Return”
Hey, the song title says “Do Return”, so I decided to return it to this week’s list. And people say I can’t follow directions…
- Brave Young Lion, “Bleeding Knees”
Here’s another return track because, well, listen. You’ll get it.
- The O’s, “Finding It Hard”
Speaking of finding it hard to believe something, I could’ve sworn that The O’s latest album, Honeycomb, was on Spotify. Now, all of the sudden, I can’t find it. What’s up with that?
- Claire Domingue, “Losing It”
Here’s an Austin artist I’ll be bringing to Dallas early next year. More details to come…
- The Polyphonic Spree, “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)”
I started with a Christmas song, I ended with one, making these sixteen songs a complete 360°, so to speak.
Sunday Spotify Sixteen: 12/6/2015
- The Ghostified Gathering — For a week or so, Festify was all the rage on social media. It was an app that created fictitious festival lineups based on one’s Spotify listening habits. One could create a lineup based on the most listened to artists over the course of a month, six months, or one’s entire time on Spotify. The [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 1/14/19 — You may notice that the songs in the below playlist are in the alternating order of the letters S & M. Yes, The Ghost realizes that this theme may be rather controversial. I could have easily shied away from it, but it seems pointless to try to hide one’s deepest desires. Several readers will find [...]
- Monday Megamixteen: 9/24/18 — You might have heard that this year’s Ghosty nominations are up and ready to be voted upon. You may cast one vote per day until voting ends on Sunday, November 18th at 11:59 CST. The awards ceremony will take place Wednesday, November 21st. More details on that to come soon. Right now, let’s take a [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 9/17/18 — So, next Monday is kind of a big deal. You see, that’s when The Ghost will announce the nominees for the 4th Annual Ghosty Awards, which will be held Wednesday, November 21st. I’ll share more with you in the coming weeks and months. I was originally going to just reflect on past winners of the [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 9/10/18 — The Ghost doesn’t have time or energy today to come up with a cool theme or any witty commentary. So, here are sixteen songs. Reagan James, “Roomate” Heart of the City, “The Silver Line” Joshua Ray Walker, “Working Girl” Mind Spiders, “Ice Bear” Pleasure Crisis, “Frozen Heart” Tilly and the Flowers, “Scars” Tennessee Stiffs, “Thirty [...]