Nine years ago, I was thinking of how the local music scene was in such a low place. Trees, Gypsy Tea Room, and Club Clearview had shut down, and Deep Ellum was a ghost town. It was definitely a far cry from the early 2000’s, where venues (and the streets) were packed. It made me kinda sad, and wistful for the good old days. I paused at that statement, and began a conversation with myself.
“The good old days? What am I, some old man on the porch who just sits around and talks about the good old days? No. I’m too young for that. I’ve still got some good old days ahead of me.”
I then began to think of how a friend suggested I should do a local music blog. I felt it was the one way I knew that I might be able to help strengthen the DFW music scene. Nine years later, I’m still blogging, putting on showcases, and doing whatever I can to help. It’s been a crazy journey over those nine years.
The list of people who I have to thank is far too long to mention all by name. Some are here with us, while others have passed to the other side. Some are musicians, others are just fans. Some are club owners, others just are regulars at these venues. All of you have been important in my journey as The Ghost, so all I can say is Thank You. But enough sentimentality. How about some music?
You may have seen my posts, asking for contributions to a local music compilation. Well, the compiling is finished, and Return of the Lucky Thirteen is now available for download on Bandcamp. Funds from the CD will help The Ghost in further endeavors such as music showcases, promotion for the blog, and anything else that strengthens both GOBL and the local music community. I encourage you to give a listen, and better yet, get a copy!
- Death Stairs, “Ghost Fight”
- Bullet Machine, “Planet Smashers”
- The Speedlights, “Gotta Get Back to You (Edit)”
- Reddening West, “All You Need”
- The Phantom Sensation, “Red Gallows”
- Midnight County, “Drink ‘Em Down”
- ILA Minori, “Mend”
- The Prof.Fuzz 63, “King of Hong Kong”
- Zach Balch & Tyler Martin, “If She Keeps You Around”
- Luna Royale, “The Glowing”
- David Joshua, “Perfect Love (Demo)”
- Emmeline, “Down (Live from Single Car Sessions)”
- Hawk vs. Dove, “Number 13”