- Birds of Night, “Dark”
- The Cover Letter, “Her Eyes, the Ocean”
- Cut Throat Finches, “Boundaries”
You should know the deal by now, but in case you don’t, here’s a summary. August 27th. Double-Wide. Ghost of Blind Lemon Birthday Bash. Birds of Night. The Cover Letter. Cut Throat Finches. The Heavy Hands. Hosted by Veronica Young (Hungover With V). $2 Lone Star. $5 Crown. Party. Hard.
- Matthew Gray, “Firelit”
After releasing his EP This Is What I’ve Learned About Losing, Mr. Gray will be dropping a full length album this fall. The name of the album will be The Anti-Soul Singer, and this is the first track to be released from the album. I think we can agree this is not a soul song, even if Mr. Gray apparently put his heart and soul into the track.
- Party Static, “Tricky”
It’s about time that the band posted their new EP, Wasted Water, on Spotify. Now I can start sharing all sorts of cool tracks from the EP, like this one.
- Tablet, “Derailed”
Fun fact: The Ghost shares a birthday with Steven Holt of Tablet.
- Signals and Alibis, “The New Again”
So, Rebecca and Brian, about holding your S&A CD release show the same night as The Ghost’s birthday bash? Uncool. Totally uncool.
- Jacob Furr, “Estacado (Live)”
Several months ago, I had the privilege of hearing Mr. Furr’s album, Sierra Madre, in full. It’s been a great honor, but I feel it’s time that Jacob share the album with the masses. Not doing so is arguably a crime against humanity. Yeah, it’s THAT good.
- NeonNoah, “Dreaming With the Lights On”
Between “Atlas” and this new track, NeonNoah are poised to be one of the best pop bands in the area.
- (monkeysphere), “Black Hole Dream”
If you need a show for Friday night, (monkeysphere) will be at Sundown at Granada. And it’s a free show. Yay, free!
- Reagan James, “Breaking the Bank”
There’s a singer I’ll sometimes hear on Top 40 radio that sorta sounds like Reagan James. It’s a decent enough pop tune and all, but it’s nowhere near the caliber of any of Ms. James’ songs. Honestly, I do not know why her album Have a Nice Day hasn’t caught fire. Tracks like “Breaking the Bank” are sophisticated, sharp, sultry, and just downright awesome.
- Blue Healer, “Only the Rain”
Some songs are hard to fully articulate how powerful they area. This Blue Healer song definitely fits the bill.
- Rei Clone, “Ready to Die”
If you aren’t cranking this track up to 11, you’re doing it wrong.
- Charley Crockett, “Baby 1-2-3”
I realized I haven’t added a track of Crockett’s on my playlist in awhile. I askled myself why I hadn’t, and I couldn’t come up with a good reason. So here’s some Charley Crockett for you. You’re welcome.
- The Feels (Feat. Slooom), “Dominator”
If you’re needing to start a dance party, play this song. Party started.
- Pleasant Grove, “Commander Whatever”
Finally, if you’re needing a Sunday night show, head over to Twilite Lounge to see Pleasant Grove. It’s Marcus Striplin’s birthday show, and good times are sure to be had!
Sunday Spotify 16: 8/21/16
- The Ghostified Gathering — For a week or so, Festify was all the rage on social media. It was an app that created fictitious festival lineups based on one’s Spotify listening habits. One could create a lineup based on the most listened to artists over the course of a month, six months, or one’s entire time on Spotify. The [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 4/15/19 — Most of my Monday Mixteen playlists have some sort of theme. The sixteen tracks selected have a loose musical connection to them. All of the songs are within what I would refer to as “rootsy” music. What exactly does that mean? To me, it means anywhere along the musical spectrum that contains Americana, country, blues, [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 4/1/19 — You may be aware that this weekend is the Deep Ellum Arts Festival, and that Deep Ellum Radio has its own Artist’s Court Stage this year. You might have even heard that The Ghost is curating his own day’s worth of music on said stage. So yes, this is gonna be a good year for [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 3/25/19 — For those not aware of Crowd Control, it’s a unique and cool Open Mic concept from Brittany Griffiths (Wavelength) and Billy Law. The last Thursday of each month, Crowd Control hosts an open mic, and each month there is a theme. The performers must present original material, and the performers are encouraged to tie their [...]
- Monday Mixteen: 3/11/19 — A funny thing happened on the way to making last week’s Monday Mixteen. WordPress would not allow me to log in to update. Even once that issue was resolved, several previously published articles disappeared. Bah humbug. The plan was to make last week’s Monday Mixteen a tribute to Three Links’ anniversary weekend, and to promote [...]